Deep tissue massage is a massage technique that uses firm pressure and slow strokes to target the inner layers of muscles and connective tissues.
This type of massage is effective in treating various musculoskeletal issues, such as strains and sports injuries. In this blog, we will discuss the benefits of deep tissue massage, the difference between sports massage and a normal massage, and when to avoid deep tissue massage.
What is deep tissue massage?
Deep tissue massage is a type of massage that uses deep pressure to target the inner layers of muscles and connective tissues. The massage therapist uses slow strokes to break up scar tissue and break down muscle adhesions.
Deep tissue massage can help reduce pain, inflammation, and muscle tension.
What are the benefits of deep tissue massage?
Deep tissue massage has numerous benefits, including:
- Stress relief: Deep tissue massage can help lower cortisol levels and increase oxytocin, which is a hormone that relaxes the body and produces soothing effects. It can also help with physical symptoms of stress, such as tight muscles and tension headaches.
- Reduces pain: Deep tissue massage therapy can treat chronic pain in the lower back, plantar fasciitis, fibromyalgia, and stiff necks. It can also reduce muscle tension that usually occurs with chronic pain.
- Lowers blood pressure and heart rate: Deep tissue massage reduces stress and tension, which impacts blood pressure. The massage can also increase the production of serotonin, which promotes good feelings and happiness.
- Breaks up scar tissue and makes movement easier: Deep tissue massage can help break up scar tissue by improving lymphatic circulation and drainage, which improves flexibility and range of motion in the affected area.
- Reduces arthritis symptoms: Deep tissue massage therapy can be used to treat many different symptoms of arthritis, like pain, stiffness, and limited range of motion.
What is the difference between sports massage and a normal (or Swedish Massage) massage?
Sports massage is a type of massage that is specifically designed for athletes. It focuses on preventing and treating injuries and enhancing athletic performance. It involves using deep tissue massage techniques to target specific muscle groups and can be more intense than a normal massage.
A normal massage (or Swedish Massage), on the other hand, is designed for relaxation and stress relief. It uses light to medium pressure and may include aromatherapy, music, and other elements to create a calming atmosphere.
When should you not get a deep tissue massage?
Deep tissue massage may not be suitable for everyone. You should avoid deep tissue massage if you have:
- Osteoporosis: Deep tissue massage can cause bone fractures in people with osteoporosis.
- Hemophilia: People with hemophilia should avoid deep tissue massage, as it can cause bleeding.
- Open wounds: Deep tissue massage can aggravate open wounds and slow down the healing process.
- Blood clots: Deep tissue massage can dislodge blood clots and cause them to travel to other parts of the body.
- Inflammatory skin conditions: Deep tissue massage can worsen skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis, and hives.
In conclusion, deep tissue massage is a highly effective massage technique that can provide numerous physical and mental benefits. If you are experiencing stress, muscle soreness, or pain, deep tissue massage therapy may be a great option for you. It is important to consult with a massage therapist to determine whether deep tissue massage is right for you.
Pure Awakening mobile massage and beauty offer body massage services, couples massage, and couple spa packages in Cape Town and Johannesburg. We provide mobile spa therapy services in the comfort of your own home, hotel or guesthouse.